Monday, November 30, 2009

Habitat Phase Uno


First off.. thanks to everyone that donated to this project. We are building an addition onto an orphanage here to give the kids some more room. It's nice to see that even though they don't have a lot, that the kids are still happy... and 'king of the castle' is played down here too.


The 'king of the castle' champion ponders the equations of life and love and thanks the stars for the Habitat crew for making her hopes and dreams come true...


The Habitat girls are not afraid to get a little dirty.


Can you dig it? Word. I have to say that the work has not been easy; it's gotten up to 45 degrees here while we're digging trenches for the foundation in the smoldering sun. There aren't an abundance of backhoes here and things are done the old fashioned way. However, it's been very rewarding.

The kids decided that I look like Wolverine. It got kinda milked throughout the week and I think I really turned into him. It probably didn't help that after finding this out I shaved my beard back into the Wolverine chops. Unfortunately for me, the kids knew that Wolverine is able to heal any wounds he endures and gave me a bit of a pounding betweem wheel barrow runs.


As happy as I look.. I was scared shittless.


One of the Axe-Men... Magneto.


The kids helping us all grow stronger.


The National Geographic shot.


The Wolverine Minions.

At the end of the week the kids put on a tradional preformance for us at the school. It was pretty damn good actually.


Break it... beat street style.

The cast and the crew.

R & R weekend. We had a shuttle take us to Agrentina to see ruins and the falls.

Rightside-ways.


The old Jesuit church entrance. What's left of it. The Spanish liked to destroy and conquer.

A lot of it was reconstructed but still looked pretty legit.


It's refreshing when your guide speaks English. The first language here is actually GuaranĂ­; it's the only country down here that has a marriage with Spanish where they are both spoken.

Chasin' waterfalls.


I was able to keep my feet grounded without the current pulling me over. Risk-reward.

Wet smiles.


I don't recommend wearing denim here.


The edge of awesomeness... live it.


The classic candid shot... stay tuned for week 2.

6 comments:

  1. Mat, your blog is like listening to TLC.

    You went chasing "waterfalls", those dirty girls look like they didn't want "no scrubs", and I'm pretty sure you could have used a "silly ho" to move some of that dirt.

    Man, I miss Left Eye.

    May the force be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics Majo - that work looks rewarding for the little folk who will soon live there... just ripped out Kyle's stag in Banff and the boys were missing ya. later

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really really proud of you Wolverine Man. Miss you!

    Much Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't go chasing waterfalls! Anyway your awesome for what you are doing down there!!!! Looks super cool. Have a ton of fun and keep smiling. And when your done playing down there, Come back so me and wendell can hang out with you. Thanks dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. eres una gran persona mat!! muero por verte... besos!...Mariana

    ReplyDelete